Frequently asked questions
What is the proper way to burn a candle?
What is the proper way to extinguish a candle?
To extinguish, bend the wick into, and out of, the melted wax. This method will eliminate smoke.
Will my candle create smoke?
Even the best soy candles have the potential to smoke if the wick is not maintained or the candle is not properly burned. If the proper maintaining methods are followed, you should have little to no smoke. We suggest trimming the candle wick to ¼” before each use. We carry wick trimmers in our shop. These nifty trimmers make it simple maintain the wick length without the mess.
Why candle trimmers and wick dippers?
Candle trimmers are very important tools for maintaining candles. They are sharp and properly angled, which allows for an easy and clean cut that keeps the wick from fraying. Keeping the wick properly trimmed will make your candle last longer. The wick dipper snuffs out the candle wick to prevent smoking, and it primes and centers the wick for the next use.
Why does the wax turn white?
When soy wax turns white it is called “frosting” or “bloom”. This is a natural process of soy wax and does not affect the burn quality or the scent.
Why is the wax yellow on one side of my jar?
If your jar is exposed to natural sunlight or fluorescent lighting, the vanilla oil used in the candle will react by turning yellow. This does not affect the burn quality or the scent.
How do I use a melter?
What we call a melter, you may know as a “tart”. Break off one to two squares of the melter and place them in an appropriate heated wax melter. Two squares of the wax will last approximately 6-8 hours depending on the heat of your warmer.
How do you properly burn a woodwick candle?
- It's best to trim your wick to 1/4 inch before lighting.
Let the melt pool reach the edge of the jar on your first burn.
When re-lighting it is very important to break off the black char from your last burn. Once it has charred it will not hold the flame upon relighting. This will ensure a proper burn and crackle.
Never burn for more than 4 hours.